Monday, January 08, 2007

Melancholy...

Ok, I rarely get into the funk, but I'm there. I try my hardest to be the happiest, most flexible and cheerful person that I can be. But lately it's been hard and it's actually getting harder. I'm not sure if it is the letdown of the Holidays, or now that the Soaring Eagles Project is in its completion phase or what. I just feel like my bucket is empty . In my personal life is where I'm being hit the hardest. I do and do and do for my family without anything in return. I used to get the hugs and thank yous all of the time, now I don't even get a smile. I've been reduced to nothing but a servant in my own house. I know a lot of that is my own fault, but now I'm trying to undo it and it's making everything that much harder. My children are always fighting, my husband is always gone and I am just there to pick up the messes, pay the bills, run to lessons, and try to referee. I am also extremely preoccupied with my weight. I'm trying desperately, but in the beginning, until I start to see some loss, it's disheartening.

So what am I going to do about it? Well for starters I'm working like a maniac to do some charity knitting. The first foray is for Kate's Caps. It's a great hat project for fun fur caps for children who are cancer patients in Boston. I cast on for one last night and was done within an hour. I've started another one today. I still have a few gifts and such looming overhead, but I'm not too worried about it right now.

Also I'm going to work on the following principles:

1. Prevent bucket dipping - ask yourself whether you are adding to or taking from another bucket.
2. Shine a light on what is right - don't focus on the negative, spend time, energy and attention of what is right.
3. Make best friends - great relationships lead to increased satisfaction
4. Give unexpectedly - the gifts can be material, trust or respect, but given unexpectedly increases their bucket filling power
5. Reverse the Golden rule - "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them".

To do list by February 15th,

  • fingerless mittens for my mother's birthday.
  • finish up Lucie's crochet edging
  • fingerless mittens for another relative.
  • hats for Kate
  • 2 more red scarfs for Norma.
  • My stashbusting project of a Laptop bag (my first creation for ME!)

Sorry that you had to listen to the whining. Today is full of teaching, meetings, running around to dance and basketball practices, etc. I needed to get it out or it was going to poision my day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs* i hope that things improve for you!

Missy said...

Ditto to almost everything you wrote. I think I need to check out that book. It sounds wonderful. Regardless, I hope you come out of your funk soon.
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I know that feeling, as well as trying to keep everyone happy and stress free with 6 adults under one roof (2 not mine), it can be difficult adding the fact that my husband lost his job two days before christmas isn't helping. Hugs and good wishes to you. Don't wear yourself too thin.

Ashley said...

Randomly clicked on your blog from the MDK-along.

Girl, let me tell you. You are on the right track, don't get down!! I know it's so easy to become overwhelmed in overwhelming circumstances, but the fact that you're doing charity knitting shines a light that you've got a great mind-set under there, you're just having a rough spot.

It's ok for the kids to squabble, that's what they do. It's ok for the house to be messy, that's what happens when real life hits. Husbands disengage - not ok, but normal. Extra weight sux, I'm right there with you. The only thing I've got for that is to buy really great pair of new shoes! =)

This bucket thing sounds interesting, but there comes a time when we need to dip. Imagine how quickly your bucket will empty if you never dip? Thank God for knit-bloggers!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure some of it is the let down now that Soaring Eagles is all done. I can't imagine how much work that must have been for you.

The charity work you do is terrific, but you should do something nice for you, too. You deserve it! So I can't wait to see that laptop bag coming along!

Hugs from me too!
Priscilla