Thursday, October 05, 2006

OK, my heart is so full right now!

Wow, I'm so thankful for the comments and i also received a few emails from local knitters that would be willing to make this dream come to fruition.

Last night I was thinking about it and I realized why a knitted object would be such a gift. It is all about VALIDATION. They want to know that someone, somewhere thinks that they are worth the time and effort to make something for them. I LOVE doing swaps because it's the same principle. While you are making something for someone, there is another person thinking of you and making something just for you. It's a great feeling.

Now I think this is going to be a go. I need some feedback though.

1. I know I'll need to make a separate blog for this and I'll do that.
2. I need to come up with a name......since we are the Eagles I was thinking something about Soaring Eagles or something, any ideas?
3. We need a deadline! I would like to be able to pass the hats/scarves, whatever out to the kids all on the same day so no one gets left out. If I give some to 1st grade, and then wait and give some to 2nd and so on, it's not the same. I would LOVE to get these out before Winter Break, but I'm thinking that if we did that that it would defeat the purpose because they might get lost at home or something, so what about sometime in January? I don't want to wait too late as the kids might not need anything later on in the year as at times it gets warm early.
4. Once we get this going we need to be visible and to talk it up.

Anyone like to help me with this? Even if you just have a suggestion, anything is great because I'm feeling overwhelmed at how big this could be....but excited and nervous all at the same time.

As far as the teaching the kids to finger knit or do it themselves, it's a time constraint issue. The children already have BoyScouts and GirlScouts that take them out of the classroom (we have it during teh school day here so the kids are sure to be able to be involved) as well as countless other organizations that take time away. I was ASSURED last night by my principal that I could take a day once a week at the end of the day for Knitting Club. I'm very excited, but it won't start until January.

Also as far as the local knitters I have contacted some groups in the area, but also posted on the Oklahoma Knitting Groups. Let's see if they bite?

As far as I'm concerned.....I'm almost done with all my UFOs just have to finish the Branching Out Scarf and then I'm finished.

3 comments:

kaoticorchid said...

I agree. Soft acrylic, as mothers are busy, and we're not trying to be a burden and give them a bunch of things they have to be careful about how they wash. I have an unlimited account for blogs on typepad, we can either use that or blogger. Most everyone has experience with either one platform or another. If we made a blog on blogger we'd have to use blogger beta, which is kindofa bummer. It should definitely be a group blog, so that people can post their progress.

Like I said before, I love making buttons, so once we decide on a name, I'll hop on that if need be.

Maybe we can do a giveaway for people who submit knitted items? Kinda like Claudia does for her tandem bike rides for MS?

I'm good to help in any way I can. Just give me direction and away I'll go!

Lost City Denise said...

Hi - I'm from the OK knitter's email group and live (part of the time) in Tulsa. I'd be willing to knit a scarf and/or beanie for the Anderson kids.
A bizillion years ago (okay forty) I attended Sam Houston Elementary in Tulsa.
Does the school have a mascot? Or is that where "eagles" came in?

Kathy said...

I have a lavender cabled hat (cotton-ease) that belongs on the head of a little girl...happy to send it out. I knit it on a whim, but this seems where it belongs. Wonderful idea you have.