Thursday, April 20, 2006

10 minutes of shame....errr....fame...

Currently the school district that I work for Omah@ Public Schools is in the middle of a nasty law that was just passed that would segregate the 1 district into 3 separate districts, one white, one black the other Hispanic. This is just a nightmare that it ever passed. Because of this, the school in which I teach is very famous recently. Tomorrow, if you have cable news FOX look for a piece that will run all day and then on the Shepard Smith show. My school Lewis @nd Clark Middle School will be featured! I hope we make a good showing.

2 comments:

Pioggia said...

How could such a law pass? I'm assuming that segregation was not the aim of the law and it just happened. I don't have a TV but I'll look that up in Google news.

Me said...

I didn't even stop to think about you when I've been hearing that story...of course, as a teacher, I've been watching it all unfold fascinated.

First of all, I was shocked that Nebraska had such ethnic diversity (I'm not sure what stereotype I held, but it certainly is shattered now!).

And then, why anyone would think that segregation is the answer boggles me. Doesn't Brown vs. the BOE Topeka ring a bell to anyone there??

Amazing how the bureaucratic wheels turn, huh? Here in NY we are always biting our fingernails this time of year to see if our politicians can pass a state budget on time before our district budget votes in May. So far so good this year.