Sunday, August 06, 2006

From beginning to end... a recycling story! LOL

Merino Wool (100%) sweater bought at a garage sale on Saturday 8/5/06 for 25 cents.
Sweater Saturday afternoon in the middle of unraveling.
Saturday night dying, also continued this morning (Sunday). I used the Knitty Tutorial on Kool-Aid dyeing.
Hanging to dry on the back porch this morning.
After all way said and done I had eight 8 oz skeins of yarn, dyed in various colors. Also a stray shoulder pad.

All in all I'm THRILLED with how it all turned out even though it was a 12 hour ordeal (actual time worked on unraveling and dyeing). I can't believe that I have 4 pounds of yarn out of one sweater. I will say that it was 25 cents for the sweater and then I spend $2.00 on the Kool-Aid. Not too shabby. I'm looking for a good pattern that I want to use for the girls' sweaters. I honestly recommend doing this at least once. We had a great time and are happy with the results (4 pounds of merino wool for $2.25 LOL).

8 comments:

Bugsy said...

Wow - that is a great thing to do - well done! Can't wait to see what you make out of all that wool now.

And i hope your dog is okay - that is very sad. Our dog got heartworm last christmas (even though she has always had preventative medication) - luckily after severe treatment (she had to spend 8 weeks in a small cage not moving) she is now running around again like a puppy - we were lucky. I hope your dog is just as lucky.

What is sugar'n'cream yarn? I don't think we have that here in Australia.

Procrastiknitter said...

Sugar and Cream is an all cotton yarn available here in the US that is cheap (It's on sale at our local store for 99 cents) and works GREAT for washcloths and other cotton items. I've made a lot out of it. If you ever want some I'll get it for you and send it to you!

Susan said...

way cool! I would have no idea where to start unraveling...but I think I just might have to try if I run across a bargain like that.

Me said...

Oooh, and pink too...I love me anything pink. It's a sickness that most girls outgrow around age 13, I know.

It must be a function of only having 3 little boys and no little girl?

Elaine said...

I love your new dyed yarn. That is my next step - dying some yarn.

Penny said...

I love dyeing! I started dyeing fabric several years ago for quilting, and just started doing yarn a few months ago. And what a great bargain!

Tori said...

I liked the sweater before but the dyed yarn is georgeous! Glad Lily got to come home and hope she's getting better. That darn parvo is a scary thing!

Craftybernie said...

Amazing how long it takes to unravel a sweater. When I've done it it's been the seams that have taken the longest to undo.

I wonder if there's a secret to getting it unravelled quicker????

I can't wait to see what you make with it.

B