Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I Love Hast!ngs!

Tonight I had a few errands to run. Went to the grocery store, then to the library to get another book on CD (it's my new way to make the commute go faster without using up all my cell minutes in the first week LOL), and then went to work out. On my way home I stopped by my local Hastings store. When I was doing all of my packing and such I ran across TONS of books that I had bought while in grad school and eventually found no use for. So they buy them back and usually for a nice in store credit price. Well 12 books and $80 in store credit later I thought that I should probably save most of this for books for the girls or gifts for people later on down the road, but I just HAD to get a book or two for myself. So I got the new Debbie Stoller book, The Happy Hooker: Stitch and Bitch Crochet and The Yarn Harlot's At Knit's End:Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much. I'd been meaning to buy Stephanie's book for quite some time and since her newest book isn't out in my local store I decided to buy this one. As far as the crocheting book, I learned how to crochet as a little girl from my grandmother, but never really honed the skill. I want to learn now because several of the patterns that I want to learn involve some finish crocheting, plus there were some cute cute patterns in the book to boot. Today was back to the grind at work. Lots of kids with their brains still on a snow day. I did manage to get about another 6 inches done on the F&F afghan while supervising detention after school Tomorrow I have suspension after school (SAS) for 2 hours so hopefully I'll get more done then too. I'm looking forward to my KnitWits club this Saturday as I haven't been for almost a month due to basketball and other committments.

5 comments:

Me said...

I cannot believe how much snow you have! Here in upstate NY we have had barely any all winter. Not that I am complaining, but a little bit would have been nice.

I love what you did to the girls' denim skirts. I may try that with one of my old ones...who says you have to be a little girl to have a pretty skirt, right? Your girls are sweetie pies! What do you teach by the way?

Sharon said...

I love books, a trip to the book store is right up there with the yarn store visits. I have just ordered At Knits End, it should arrive in the mail soon.

Kim said...

I like the new blog--very nice! Those skirts you made for the girls are great--was it hard to do? Just passing through on the final Stashalong patrol--thanks for playing along!

Procrastiknitter said...

The skirts were really easy because all you did was just tack the rick-rack at the top of the wave and then use a circular to cast on and make it the desired length that you wanted. Also you have to increase to get the ruffle but nothing too much. I didn't use a pattern at all just freehanded it a bit.

Jaimi, I teach middle school science in an inner city school in OMaha. Challenging, but loads of fun and never a dull moment! LOL

Pioggia said...

I'm surprised your kids in detention behave well enough that you can still knit. Lucky you!